Saturday 7 April 2012

DAY THIRTY-SEVEN: The Tweetest Thing


Staying connected in this modern world is of paramount importance, a fact which I have embraced as much as anyone. I use Facebook like oxygen and am generally more easily contacted by email than phone. Especially these days, with my 40 Day Challenge entering its final lap, I am pretty much always online. It is therefore slightly odd that I have not yet joined the masses in embracing the latest technological craze: Twitter. Those who know me are invariably shocked and confused when they learn that I’m not a Tweeter, and have tried to convince me to join their ranks on numerous occasions. Their efforts have always been in vain. Until now. Day 37 would see me take the plunge and join the realms of the Twitterverse.

Here goes...!
Creating my account was surprisingly easy. Having put this event off for at least a year or two, I had built it up in my head dramatically and expected it to be some kind of impossible feat. Email address and name entered, and suddenly there I was: a member of Twitter. Finding my username was slightly more difficult, which I guess is the price I pay for waiting so long. RichWatkins, RWatkins, R_Watkins, RichieWat were all unavailable. I never knew my name was so generic. Fortunately, I discovered that RichWatkins89 was as yet unused, so I settled for that. One step closer.

After picking my photo (a straight-forward choice: a flattering recent snap featuring my tan and whitened teeth), the rules of Twitter obliged me to “follow” some other profiles straight away. I had barely activated my account and was suddenly being flung into cyber-society at full speed. My first “followee” was easy. Despite only just joining the site, I already knew the so-called Queen of Twitter. Ms Gaga, I have now joined the ranks of your millions upon millions of followers. #yourewelcome

I then had to pick a few more profiles to follow, which included a number of friends, a handful of publications and numerous celebrities. My selection of Jessie J, Glee and Rihanna definitely says something about me, though I’m sure that as I develop my Twitdentity, my list of following (and indeed followers) will grow and hopefully become increasingly diverse. In fact, this is something I’ve decided I’ll have to accept about Twitter. My relationship with the social networking site is going to be a learning curve and each day will bring something new. Definitely a case of crawling before you can walk.

One Tweet and Counting
Before logging off Twitter for the first time, I had the essential task of composing a tweet (which is, after all, the point of the website). The pressure was on. It’s widely known that tweets say a lot about you, and writing something stupid can cause huge embarrassment. The first tweet is even more important – as Cheryl Cole will well remember. Therefore I needed to think long and hard about how to announce losing my Twitter virginity. After much contemplation, I posted my first ever tweet. No going back now! To see what I decided upon, check me out on Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/RichWatkins89. And, hey, while you’re there, why not give me a follow? Go on, you know you want to...

Day 37: Twitter-Time. #DONE!

Peace & Love,
Rich xx

No comments:

Post a Comment