Saturday 7 April 2012

DAY THIRTY-SIX: London Calling


Back when my adLenture was first created and I was still thinking up new and exciting challenges to tackle, I made a promise to myself. As well as finding bizarre and unique things to do, I would use this opportunity to make the most of living in arguably (in fact definitely) the greatest city in the world: London. Despite having been in the capital for five years now, there are still an infinite amount of London-based activities I could – and should – have done, but haven’t. By getting stuck in a routine, one misses out on exciting opportunities which wouldn’t exist anywhere else in the world. Day 36 would see me live a day in the Capital’s East End, and therefore remedy my naughty London negligence. Better late than never, eh?

To facilitate my Eastern venture, I called upon the services of Hannah, a good friend of mine and a resident of trendy Hackney. I was certain that, under her watchful eye, I would get a first-rate insider’s initiation to the area. I couldn’t have been more right. 

Flower Power
After cycling across London to meet Hannah (no public transport for me, the East End is too cool for that), we made our way to London’s famous Columbia Road Market. Columbia Road, despite being your average street during the week, comes into its own at the weekend as the city’s biggest and best Flower Market. Bursting at the seams with market stalls and crowds of customers, the market offers both a staggering array of produce and an incredible atmosphere. With unexpectedly good weather, it was the perfect time to first see Columbia Road’s offerings, which truly are breathtaking both in quantity and quality. 

The Likely Lads of the East End
With everything from traditional flowers (roses, tulips and lilies were in plentiful supply) to more obscure produce, such as palm trees and bizarre feather-like creepers, the market had it all. There were stalls selling seeds and promoting grow-your-own vegetables, and many types of flower with brilliantly kitsch names. The “Rain Daisy” was a personal highlight. Adding to the atmosphere were the flower sellers themselves. Bellowing out prices in typically Cockney style, there were deals everywhere you looked, with almost everything “going cheap” for a fiver. These flower-sellers also provided brilliant comic material to keep the crowds smiling. My favourite? “This plant won’t grow taller, will only grow wider. Just like my Missus”. Comedy gold. 

Play that funk music,
French girl!
After soaking in all that Columbia Road Market had to offer, Hannah and I wandered down a side road to get some food. We picked out some fresh olives and nibbled away, while listening to a local street performer sing along to her accordion. It turned out that this musician was a friend of Hannah’s: Garance, a quirky but talented French girl. I told you Hannah was cool! We then ventured a bit further from Columbia Road, heading down Broadway Market until we reached London Fields. At last, I was where all the cool kids hang (I’ve only been trying for 22 years...) Hannah and I chilled on the grass and observed some of East London trendiest scenesters. It had taken two weeks, but my haircut was finally coming into its own. 

To finish my big day out, I visited Hackney City Farm. That’s right: a full-on farm right in the centre of London. It was incredible. I became like an excitable child when I saw the wide selection of animals: chickens, sheep, pigs, donkeys, ducks, rabbits and goats – to name but a few. The last time I’d seen so much wildlife in an urban environment was in a disappointingly average film about Madagascar. This was so much cooler. Definitely visit Hackney City Farm; it’s like London Zoo but without the tourists and free of charge, and was therefore the perfect way to round up my trendy East London day. As I cycled home I was proud to have discovered a new area of London, and felt about a million times cooler than I did before.

Day 35: Take a ride on a Hackney Carriage.  LIKE, TOTALLY!

Peace & Love,
Rich xx

No comments:

Post a Comment