Tuesday 13 March 2012

DAY EIGHTEEN: Reel Big Fish

Revelation time: during my childhood, I was plagued by an almost obsessive fear of fish.  While I wasn't as phobic as a good friend of mine who wouldn't even eat the stuff (perhaps we should have started a club?), I couldn't stand having the little creatures swim around my feet in the sea.  These days my fears have lessened, but Day 18's activity was still something I never imagined I would do: have a fish pedicure.


The concept of this latest craze – popular amongst housewives of the Home Counties and glamorous students looking for a unique way to spend their loan – is strange but simple.  Submerge both feet in a tank of warm freshwater filled with Garra Rufa fish,  then sit back and relax while the toothless creatures get busy sucking on any areas of dry or dead skin, leaving the feet smooth and well nursed.  It’s a fairly straightforward activity.  That is, of course, if you don’t have a slight panic attack.

Something Fishy Going On...
The Garrarufa Fish Spa in St Albans (the heart of middleclass Suburbia: prime location for this luxury treatment) offers a friendly and welcoming environment, doubling up as a pedicure salon if you’re looking for a full-on foot treatment.  My sister and I – this isn't an activity to do alone – were greeted by nail technician Jess, who answered my long list of questions and concerns about the fishy procedure with the tone of someone who had clearly heard it all before.  Well, until I asked if anyone had ever thrown up in the tanks, and whether it would make the fish turn aggressive.  I clearly wasn’t doing a brilliant job of hiding my nerves…

Socks removed, trousers rolled up and feet sprayed clean (to prevent infection spreading apparently - gross), it was time to get stuck in.  I won’t lie, I literally screamed as I put my feet into the water.  This may have been a slight overreaction.  The fish pedicure is neither painful nor dangerous; it’s actually quite nice.  The sucking sensation of the fish feels like tiny jets of air on your skin, as though you were in a mini Jacuzzi, or a bath full of champagne (just think about that). My cries of anguish would have been unnecessary, except that all my childhood fears came flooding back.  To make matters worse, my fishy friends seemed particularly hungry compared to those in my sister’s tank, and my feet were instantly covered.  I guess that’s what three days of traipsing round Budapest will do.  

It took me a good 5 minutes to stop shaking and relax, by which point we were basically half way through our treatment.  I could then finally begin to enjoy myself and was slightly (ever so slightly) disappointed when Jess told us to remove our feet.  I would certainly go back to the Garrarufa Fish Spa, primarily because my feet did feel brilliantly smooth afterwards.  And now that I know that they won't nibble me to death, the fish do seem a bit less petrifying…

Day Eighteen:  Conquer a fear and obtain fabulous feet.  CHECK!

Peace & Love,
Rich xx

No comments:

Post a Comment