Sunday 11 March 2012

DAY FIFTEEN: Funky Buda


At long last, I made it to Budapest, and set to work discovering the Hungarian capital.  Day 15 was therefore full of new experiences, all well suited to my little challenge.

My first impression was that, linguistically-speaking, I was completely screwed.  Although pretty much everyone I met spoke at least some English, I do not know one single word of Hungarian.  Having studied French, German and Italian, I have managed to get by on pretty much all of my holidays in recent years.  Budapest was a very different kettle of fish.  Like a true Brit, I initially resorted to over-exaggerated hand gestures and loud monosyllabic questions to survive.  For a linguist, this is essentially shameful sacrilege and I’m sure that all of my former French teachers would have looked on with typically Gallic looks of disdain.  Luckily enough, Owen, my welcoming host for the week and Budapest’s latest internet sensation, speaks impeccable Hungarian and succeeded in teaching me a couple of words (ok, literally two).

The Impressive Hero's Square
Like a true tourist, I hit the streets of Budapest early on Day 15.  Brandishing a comically cartoon-like map, I stomped up and down Andrassy Ut, one of the city’s central boulevards, which also happens to have World Heritage protection.  Understandably so: it’s very pretty, for a road.  Andrassy Ut also hosts many of Budapest’s top tourist attractions: the spacious Hero’s Square and City Park at the northern junction, the famously morbid Terror Museum, the grandiose Opera, as well as many stunning coffee shops.  Owen and I visited one of these classy cafés, whose gilded frescoes and plush seats look like they’ve been taken straight out of The Ritz.  Our greedy order of large Cappuccinos and two big slices of cake came to the grand total of 1,800 Hungarian Forint.  For the record, that’s about £5.  Remember, we were in one of Budapest’s most costly coffee shops.  I know what you’re thinking: WTF?!  With prices like that, I lived like a king for the week.  Lavish lunches for Owen and myself, hefty tips all around and plenty of presents for back home.   Equally, with beers costing about £1.50, nights out were just as lavish.  See Day 16.

Alexandra Cafe's Stunning Ceilings
Of course no trip to Budapest would be complete without a trip up to the city’s famous castle.  In theory, it’s a major tourist trap: Hungary’s answer to the Eiffel Tower or Buckingham Palace.  It may have been that I visited the castle at around 7pm (the hillside views of Budapest at night were a treat), but I was one of the only people up there.  Walking up in complete solitude made me doubt if I was in the right place, but even when I got up the hill, I only saw one or two others.  Rather odd, to say the least, but this lack of tourism actually worked in my favour.  Let’s just say my earlier coffee with Owen reared its ugly head up at the Castle. With all the buildings locked for the evening and nobody around, I was in luck.  Yes, Ladies & Gentlemen, I have done a clandestine wee on Hungary’s most important building.  Well, not on it.  Behind a tree.  100 feet away. But still: CONTROVERSIAL!

With its complicated history of both oppression and opulence, Budapest is a fascinating city.  This background of diversity is impossible to miss: the architecture alone is a smorgasbord of beautiful Viennese structures, Renaissance palaces and imposing Communist concrete blocks.  It’s a treat for the eyes, and this transcends any bewildering language issues which frequently came my way.

DAY FIFTEEN: Get acquainted with Budapest.  KÉSZ!

Peace & Love,
Rich xx

No comments:

Post a Comment