Tuesday 6 March 2012

DAY THIRTEEN: The Last Stretch


Back when my 40 Day Challenge was but a twinkle in my eye, I had already made plans to unify my mind, body and soul in a completely new way: Yoga.  However, it was not until Day 13 that my intentions actually came to fruition.  Well, better late than never...

Our Iyengar Temple: Totally Zen
Yoga has always been a slight mystery to me. Is it a sport? A way of life? A weird hippy dance-form?  On our search for some answers, my inquisitive friend Alice and I came across a little hidden gem: The Iyengar Yoga Institute, a Northwest London sanctuary of calm and hospitality. The Institute is deceptively, well, institute-like.  Hidden behind some tennis courts on one of Maida Vale’s grandiose avenues, you’d be forgiven for thinking it was some kind of country club.  The truth is quite different.  The Yoga Institute is in fact a charity, and practices on an entirely not-for-profit basis.  As such, lessons are offered at affordable prices by experts who are completely committed to their craft.  This attitude of acceptance was evident, not least from the somewhat eclectic mix of our fellow classmates.

As you may have guessed from the name, we were to be practicing Iyengar Yoga.  Don’t worry, I had no idea either.  Upon heading straight to Google, I found the following: “known for its use of props, such as belts, ropes, blocks, and blankets, as aids in performing asanas (postures)”.  Erm, SORRY? There is only one recreational activity I know that uses belts and ropes, and it is rarely conducive to rest and relaxation.  I therefore approached my introductory session to Iyengar Yoga with slight trepidation.

I look good, right?
However, it seems that only experienced practitioners get access to the props.  I would have to wait for that privilege (still not sure if I was relieved or disappointed). We began with the typical stretches up/down/to the side/to the front, before moving on to slightly more complicated poses.  By the time we were standing on one foot with the other ankle wrapped behind our knee, all while intertwining our arms until they looked like dreadlocks, our earlier efforts of straining to touch our toes seemed like child’s play.  Fortunately, our group was under the expert guidance of Judy, one of the Institute’s many experienced teachers, whose concise and witty instructions were of immeasurable help.

Our class ended with a quick relaxation session and an outline of the Institute’s courses.  The good news: these courses really are good value.  In fact, both Alice and I are already planning to return for the 6-week foundation course.  After all, I’ll need all the help I can get to advance to rope-and-belt level.  In the meantime, you'll find me practising in Vauxhall...

Day 12:  Become a Yoga Gura.  CHECK!

Peace & Love,
Rich xx

P.S. Tomorrow, my adLenture will take to the skies and move to pastures new.  If you don’t hear from me for a while, please don’t fear.  I’ll be back soon with many an experience to recount...

No comments:

Post a Comment