Saturday 17 March 2012

DAY TWENTY: Old McDonald


Following my recent escapades in Borough Market, the time has now come for my second culinary adLenture.  On this occasion, rather than try out a new cuisine, I indulged in one I have eaten many times before:  McDonalds.  In fact, Day 20 saw me eat McDonalds and nothing but McDonalds.  An experiment of epic and greasy proportions.

The motivation behind my fast-food undertaking obviously came from the controversial and generally disgusting film “Supersize Me”.  Well, if Morgan Spurlock can be supersized, then so can I.  Admittedly, my undertaking is slightly less insane (just one day instead of 30), but I didn’t fancy the subsequent heart palpitations and vomiting.  I also don’t have the metabolism of an American, so the stakes would be entirely different...

The most important meal of the day.
Apparently.
Breakfast:  I dive straight into the deep end of the McDonalds menu by ordering a Double Sausage and Egg McMuffin meal.  The “muffin” (basically a burger without the sesame seeds) was accompanied by a hash brown/oily sponge and an orange juice - my feeble attempt at getting five-a-day.  My breakfasts are normally either non-existent or nothing beyond a bit of toast or an apple.  A whole McDonalds meal was therefore a rather daunting experience for me.  Still, I soldiered on and finished the whole meal.  Calories: 823

Early morning was full of energy.  My body, surprised by all the sugar, was now buzzing.  Unfortunately, this did not last:  what goes up must eventually come down, and by around 11am I was a sluggish mess.  Sat at my desk I was struggling to keep my eyes open, and the simple task of going to the printer and back was a huge onus.  Why had I inflicted this upon myself?!

Ready for Round Two
Lunch:  By one o’clock I was starving.  McDonalds does temporarily fill you up, but this is seemingly only a temporary fix and you are soon left feeling empty. Although the thought of more fatty foods wasn’t too appealing, I would’ve been happy with anything and eagerly ordered my McTasty with Bacon meal (including fries and a Sprite).

This burger was new to me, and was actually pretty tasty.  Definitely one to sample again when drunk.  McDonalds always tastes better drunk.  Calories: 1390 (no, you didn’t misread that)

That energy buzz which followed breakfast didn’t strike twice.  After lunch, I basically returned to the same lethargic state I’d been in before.  Sleepy and grumpy, my muscles even began to ache.  By the time dinner came around, the last thing I wanted to do was eat another McDonalds meal.  But for the sake of you lot, I forced myself to once again pass under the golden arches.

Dinner: A true classic, to round off my day.  A Big Mac Meal with Coke.  A combination I have eaten many times before, but never this begrudgingly.  Every chip was an effort.  The burger itself was my personal Everest, each layer another hurdle to get over.  I attracted some concerned and confused looks sat on my own in McDonalds.  Those restaurants attract some depressed individuals, but rarely do they eat their food so unwillingly.  My poor stomach was crying out “No!!” as I forced down the last few mouthfuls.  Calories: 990

My day of living in the fast-food lane was (finally) over.  All the sugar had turned me into an unproductive zombie, and I crawled into bed navery full but very sleepy.  Despite consuming over 150% of my recommended daily calorie count (yes, I was worried too), I was well and truly McKnackered.  I will inevitably eat McDonalds again, but I think I’m going to leave it a while.  My arteries would never forgive me otherwise.

Day Twenty: Big Macventure. CHECK!

Peace & Love,
Rich xx

No comments:

Post a Comment