Sunday 4 March 2012

DAY ELEVEN: Let’s Go Fly A Kite


Despite my unwavering love for Mary Poppins (or anything with Julie Andrews/penguins, for that matter), I have somehow never followed the advice of the film’s final rousing chorus and gone out to fly a kite.  I was at last given the chance to undertake this challenge on Day 11.  Mary and Bert would be so proud...

You would be forgiven for thinking that I had a somewhat deprived childhood.  Kite-flying is surely a crucial staple in the upbringing of every little girl and boy?!  Well, surprising as it may be, I wasn’t much of an outdoorsy kid, invariably opting for less strenuous hobbies such as arts and crafts or working on my thimble collection.  Yes, I was that child.  The closest I came to a kite was drawing them in Maths class when making tessellations.  It’s sad but true.

So, when a well-wishing friend invited me to join him and his young cousins on an afternoon kite-flying trip, I jumped at the chance of getting some juicy material for my adLenture.  After abandoning my other arrangements for the day (which mainly consisted of eating pizza and watching TV re-runs – not quite blog-worthy), I made my way to Hampstead Heath to join my excited companions.

Potentially the only time I successfully got it off the ground...
Foolishly, I had envisaged my first kite experience as a relaxing, sun-soaked outing without either a care in the world or, worse, any physical exertion.  How wrong I was.  Other than the kite itself, there is only one other integral ingredient needed for the outdoor activity: wind.  And up on the hills of the Heath, we were in no short supply.  So much that one of our younger members essentially got carried right of the ground.  Any higher up the Beaufort wind force scale, and I expect that little Harry would be drifting past the Cotswolds about now.  This was no child’s game.  Kite-flying is a sport, which requires strength and power, particularly when trying to manoeuvre what can only be described as an industrial sail.  There was no place for cute bows or decorations à-la-Poppins on this kite: we were talking business.

And so, after a good hour or two of trying to tame our windborne kite, we threw in the towel and hurried back into the warmth.  I can only speak for myself, but all that outdoor activity tired me out.  And anyway, I was keen to get back indoors to write all about the experience.  I guess I’m still not much of an outdoorsy guy.  Some things never change...


Day Eleven: Fly a Kite. DONE!

Peace & Love,
Rich xx

No comments:

Post a Comment