Thursday 22 March 2012

DAY TWENTY-SIX: Say, What’s In This Drink?

After my dalliances with the Classic Martini and GuinnessDay 26 of my ExperiLent was time for my next beverage-based venture.  Now, as someone who enjoys a drink and rarely says no to a glass or two (or three, or four, or nine...), finding a new alcohol experience was proving to be a bit tough. It was time to get creative. Luckily my ultra-cool friends Clare and Emily, who always know the newest trends and latest crazes, had the perfect solution: Purl Bar in Marylebone.

You’d be forgiven for thinking that Purl is just another cocktail bar when you walk through the door.   The lighting is dim, the bar staff sexy and the music mellow. Other than the apparent impossibility at getting a table at the last minute (thanks again, girls!), Purl doesn’t seem to be too different from any number of stylish London watering holes. However, it’s when you look at the menu that Purl comes into its own and you see what all the fuss is about. This bar doesn't just serve cocktails; it serves scientific experiments. These drinks fizz, bang and smoke. Awesome doesn’t even begin to describe it...

I read the menu with excitement and trepidation. Next to their list of drinks, Purl use a disclaimer for any first-timers, one which sums up their work perfectly: “Be prepared for sensory overload... Some of these cocktails are not suitable for those with a sensitive disposition... If you don’t like fire, liquid nitrogen and loud noises, you will not like this”. Half of me was dying to order. The other half was bricking it.

As Cold as Ice...
For my initiation into Purl’s magical world, I selected a drink called Mr Hyde’s No. 2; the description read: “Ron Zacapa 23, Purl’s homemade (all natural) cola syrup, chocolate bitters, PX smoked and wax sealed. Smoked Fog”. Although half of those words were a mystery to me (I soon found out that Ron Zacapa 23 was premium mature rum), what I did understand was Smoked Fog. This would mean liquid nitrogen (!!!). The geek in me could hardly wait, and was certainly not disappointed when the drink was finally brought over.

Both my glass and drink (in a potion-like bottle) arrived in a big metal wine cooler. Billowing over the top of this container was a fountain of dry ice. Covering the whole table, the spectacle was very impressive. And the drink was lovely too. The waitress told me to leave the rum for ten minutes while the flavours enhanced and it became more smoked. I dutifully ignored her and tried a bit straight away. Nice but nothing amazing. Ten minutes later and the drink had evolved into a rich, woody flavour. The Smoked Fog had smoked the drink, and it was g-o-o-d!

Cherry Nice
My companions ordered equally delicious creations. Clare’s Jewish Champagne was essentially a Bloody Mary, but with gin and no tomato (so not really a Bloody Mary at all). The drink was separated into all its various components, meaning that Clare was left to mix it herself. This included using a pipette to transfer drops of bitter into her glass from a small vial. Everyone loves a bit of audience participation... Emily’s cocktail was a touch more mainstream: a Martini called The Toreador flavoured with apricot and lime. The coolest part of this one was the pink cherries injected with peppercorns: an epic taste explosion. BOOM!


Go to Purl, I implore you. The prices may be a bit steep (I could only allow myself the one drink) and it may be difficult to actually get in the place. But once you witness the breathtaking spectacle of the cocktails, it’s definitely worth it. I fully intend to go back one day, not least to try the Cinder Whiskey Old Fashioned: a four-person drink infused with tea, served in an ornate samovar. You can’t get much trendier than that for a double date...

Day 26: Have the drink of my dreams.  CHEERS!

Peace & Love,
Rich xx

No comments:

Post a Comment